Friday, July 26, 2013

Intro to Cancer Odyssey

My name is Bob and I'm a survivor of squamous cell cancer of the right tonsil stage IV-b. I was 48 years old when diagnosed back in 1998, went through some chemo, then full doses of radiation. Noting that different doctors offered different combinations of radiation, chemo, and/or surgery, I attempted to find out for myself what the best treatment would be for me. I was really concerned with side-effects and at first refused radiation. I never had surgery.

In the end, what took out the cancer was the radiation. That and perhaps the Chinese medicines I took and perhaps most importantly, my meditation/spirituality practices. After the grueling radiation trip, the radiation oncologist said to me "not only is your data off the charts, but there must be someone looking out after you". He really was amazed that I survived and he continued to tell me that in the years following treatment.

Today I am cancer free, but live with very difficult consequences of radiation. My ability to swallow is shot (since October 1967 haven't eaten anything by mouth), I have substantial COPD, loss of hearing and speech impediment. These maladies are probably largely due to radiation treatment. It took years after actual treatment for the conditions to manifest. Despite the ongoing difficulties I am very grateful to be alive and I continue to function pretty well considering my impairments.

Since my diagnosis with cancer in 1998 I've taken notes and communicated about my experience with my illness. My experiences include interactions with doctors, nurses and other medical professionals as well as my personal saga of what I went through. My cancer odyssey is about me. My experience with cancer is unique to me, just as all of us who are diagnosed go through their own personal experiences unique to them.

Over time I want to post pieces of my experience on this blog. I'm posting my notes and communications step-by-step. Starting around the time of diagnosis. I will be posting what I wrote at the time as well as what I remember today. I will comment on experiences and also post of current life experience.

My hope is that what I post here will benefit others.
May wellness and good health prevail in the lives of all readers of this blog.

Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment